February 19, 2008

Mosiac Art




This art goes back some 4,000 years or more. By the eighth century BC, there were pebble pavements, using different colored stones to create patterns. It was the Greeks, in the four centuries BC, who raised the pebble technique to an art form, with precise geometric patterns and detailed scenes of people and animals. Small pieces of glass were used to adorn walls, tables, pavements or any surface in either a geometric pattern or a random design. The beautiful glass shines in the sunlight and looks very pretty and pleasing to the eyes.

About my work of art :

I used a plain glass bowl/vase for this art. I bought some round glass pieces. You can use broken glass or flat glass pieces. I know someone who broke wine/liquor bottles to pieces and used the flat pieces. Wine/liquor bottles come in beautiful yellow, brown, green, black and red colors.

I stuck the glass pieces on the bowl and used grout to fill in the voids. You could use colored grout too. It gives a very beautiful look. I am going to use flat glass pieces next time for a mosaic table.

No comments: