February 6, 2008

Metal Embossing – ‘Githopadesam’



Embossing is the process of creating a three-dimensional effect on materials such as metal, cloth or paper. This effect is achieved with the application of pressure at various levels to accomplish the desired 3-D look.

About my work :

This was one of very first work of art. I made this during my college days and gifted it to my parents. In this art, Lord Krishna is giving 'Gitopadesh' to Arjuna in the battlefield. This helped Arjuna get over any dilemma he had and win the battle. This 'Gitopadesh' became the holy book of hindus named 'Bhagavat Gita'.

I once saw this art work at my neigbors when she had invited us over for a festival where ladies invite other ladies to their home and give ‘prasad’. My neighbor had done it so beautifully that I wanted to learn it and do it myself. Once I finished this, it gave me so much joy that I wanted to do more.

3 comments:

Deepa said...

Lovely work Vidya. You have immense talent.Do you embroider too?

Vidya said...

Thanks for stopping by Deepa and leaving your comments.

Embroidery and stitching work are probably among those very few art and craft work I try to keep away from. It is very taxing to the eyes and has a very long turnaround time!! I will give it a shot if I find easy to make styles. But I have seen some beautiful embroidery work and have a lot of appreciation for that art.

Meera said...

Embossing looks so nice. I had done some embossing when I was in college under guidance of a teacher. Yours looks so pretty.