March 4, 2008

Madhubani – The tribal art of Bihar


Madhubani or Mithila art as it is called is from the state of Bihar in India. Madhubani literally means a forest of honey. The Mithila region and the villages around Madhubani are situated near the northern edge of the state of Bihar. People of Mithila have their own language called ‘Mithilakshar’ and a history that goes back more than 2500 years. Mahavira, Buddha and Seeta ( wife of Sri Ram in Ramayana) are believed to have born in this state of India.

The paintings are basically of a religious nature. They are done in special rooms in their homes (in the pooja room, ritual area, bridal room.), on the main village walls for ceremonial or ritualistic purposes. The women offer sincere prayers to the deity before starting the work. Every painting has some significance and philosophy behind it. In the pooja room, one may paint Gods and Goddesses and images from their epics. In the ritual area, one may paint a wedding ceremony or a festive celebration. In the bridal room, one may paint images that signify happiness, prosperity and fertility.

There are three popular styles of Madhubani. They are

1.Brahmin StyleThis style of painting largely deals with using rich variety of bright colors.

2.Tattoo or Goidana Style This style is originally in the form of line-drawings and is divided into several horizontal margins. This style is closer to the Brahmin school of painting as the usage of colors here is just like that style.

3.Kshatriya or Kayastha Style - The unique feature of the Kayastha tradition is the use of monochrome color. Especially black, red and green. It was basically a practice of elaborate wall paintings of the nuptial chamber, Kohbar Ghar with representations of the lotus, bamboo grove, fish, birds and snakes in union, which largely symbolizes fertility and life.

About my art :

I learnt this art from a Bihari woman who was hired by the Indian government to promote this dying folk art. There is a particular technique, which is quite easy, which is followed by Madhubani artists. The lady explained the significance and meaning behind the strokes and fillings called ‘Kachni’ and ‘Bharni’. It seems the Biharis believe that when one creates a Madhubani painting, you have to make sure the lines and fillings are painted end to end without incomplete work.

This is my first Madhubani painting and I have painted two tribal village girls. I have also signed my name in ‘Mithilakshar’. If someone who knows the literature thinks it is wrong, please let me know.

4 comments:

Deepa said...

Your posts are so informative.How do you manage to learn each style with a toddler tagging behind you? If you could do a step by step tutorial on some of the works,it would be great.

Vidya said...

Thanks for your comments Deepa.

Some of the art work here are those I learnt even before I got married. I am just putting them up one by one. As for the new ones that I learnt, I spend time on my art in the 2 hours I get when my toddler naps in the afternoons on weekends. Even though it is a slow process now, I am very happy that I am in touch with something very close to my heart. Earlier, I used to finish my art work in one sitting. not anymore !!

Do visit again for more upcoming folk art that I learnt recently.

Starting a tutorial is a laborious task. But I will be happy to impart what knowledge I have through emails. Do email me if you have any questions.

Meera said...

That looks beautiful, Vidya!! Your art is a gift from God.

Vidya said...

Thanks for stopping by and leaving your comments Meera.