January 14, 2008

The Jasmine garland – what a beautiful thing !



Another reason why I am proud to be an Indian is because of this – Jasmine flower garlands.

When a girl wears fresh Jasmine on her hair and walks past you, you get a very pleasant smell that lifts up your spirits and reminds you of your roots. It is best worn with a saree or a traditional dress. Jasmine is the sacred flower of the Hindu love God, Kama. A fragrant emblem of love, Jasmine flowers are often entwined into bridal flowers at Indian weddings. This custom is said to promise the bridle couple a deep and lasting affection for eternity.

On city streets, in front of temples, in public markets - women in beautiful sarees string together garlands in vibrant orange, pink, yellow, and white. Those that are not weaving them, are wearing them in their hair.

I will always equate the smell of Jasmine with the stone temples and festivities. These garlands are used in temples everyday to adorn Gods and Goddesses.

Tying the Jasmine flowers in a garland is an art and I always wanted to learn it when I grew up. I used to want to wear jasmine at every possible occasion. Born and raised in the beautiful south, I often took this art for granted and did not learn it until my recent India trip. I quickly learnt the art of tying jasmine flowers from a kind lady who was selling these garlands on the street side. I wore this garland very frequently when I was in India this time as my mother specially orders them everyday and it is delivered every evening.

Typically, the string is made from a banana leaf plant’s stem. Fresh flowers are hand-picked one by one and tied with the string to make a garland. There is a special knot which ties the flowers together and keeps it in place without falling. This knot is tied with a single hand and the experts do it with such swiftness and skill to make yards and yards of this garland every single morning !

3 comments:

Bhavna said...

That's a lovely post! I too miss gajra (the garland)here... when I first visited India after my first US stay I bought so many of them that everyone wondered what's wrong! :-)

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Good site you've got here.. It's hard to find quality writing like yours nowadays.
I truly appreciate people like you! Take care!!